Did you know that ReeceNichols designates one weekend every month as our company-wide Open House Celebration? It is the perfect time to see what’s on the market. Plan to tour a few listings, either on your own, with me or with your agent.
What to look for during an open house
ReeceNichols put together this great checklist to help you get the most out of each Open House:
- Check out the neighborhood. How close are the neighbors’ homes? Are there a lot of other homes for sale on the street?
- Give the exterior more than just a cursory glance. Are the gutters intact? How’s the yard? Is the paint chipping?
- Smell every room. Don’t be fooled by potpourri or candles! A foul odor, along with cracks and stains, could be symptoms of hidden problems.
- Take stock of the closets and storage spaces. Is there enough to fit your needs?
- If you prefer to let natural light in rather than turn on the lights, pay attention to how light filters in through the home.
- Without obviously eavesdropping, listen to the other visitors’ conversations — they may know the neighborhood and could drop some details you wouldn’t know otherwise. It’s also a good time to scope out your competition.
- If you have any questions, ask the agent hosting the open house.
- Double check the flooring for any bumps or sagging, and inspect the walls for cracks or stains.
- A new coat of paint could be just that — or it could be masking something else. Ask about any strange cover-ups.
- If the home seems dirty and disorganized, take note. If the sellers didn’t care enough to make an effort to clean up for an open house, what does that say about their home maintenance over the years?
- See past the staging and try to envision your current furniture and decorations in the home.
Upcoming Open House Celebration Dates
- July 14 & 15
- August 11 & 12
- September 15 & 16
- October 13 & 14
- November 3 & 4
- December 1 & 2
You can always check on my ReeceNichols website for upcoming open houses in your area. I would love to show you what’s on the market and help you find the perfect new house for you!
Contact me anytime,
Bob Myers Properties
Community Focused, Architecturally Passionate, People Proven